Saturday, October 20, 2012

Style vs Content

I was debating with my friend Basil once about whether subject or style was more important in a painting.  I was arguing that any subject, in skilled hands, could be elevated into something of merit: think Cezanne's apples,  Morandi's pots, and Caravaggio's natures mortes.

I have also been struggling recently to push myself beyond what I refer to as "so what?" work. Robert Genn used my note to him on this subject as one of his letters: http://clicks.robertgenn.com/so-what.php













To this end, I have been reworking old pieces to see if through persistence and play, I can make anything of them.














Reworking forms and adding some texture, contrast and detail has helped, but now I look at this picture and all I see is some throwback to the 60's. Time to move on.

No comments: