Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Year thoughts

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come." (Joseph Campbell)

Not quite sure what that means, but it sounds really good. I am interpreting it to mean- Stop painting to make money (eg doing stuff that you know will sell) and just see what happens when you have a pencil and paints at hand, good music playing, and perhaps a glass of wine. Sounds like a good start to the New Year.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Some people do have a plan for their life. I've never been able to get beyond a vague 'maybe sometime' type of feeling and tend to make it up as I go along. Needless to say, I haven't got very far, but for one with little ambition this is no surprise. Contentment is my criteria of choice.

Happy New Year and I hope the music and the tipple lead you where you are going.

Red Fox Literary said...

I love the delicacy of this piece. It makes me think of Mary Cassat's watercolors.