Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mrs Ersoy's sundried tomato sauce

I didn't know what to do with all the tomatoes that were rapidly ripening on the vine this summer, so Mucella, a watercoloring engineer from Turkey who was taking my class, told me how her mother preserved her tomatoes. When she sent me these photos of the famous sauce and her fabulous mother, I had to add them to my blog.

Here is the recipe:
Cut tomatoes in half and place in deep pan with some salt. Place in full summer sun and cover with netting to keep bugs out. Every morning and evening, stir with a spoon. Don't worry about white mold that develops- just stir it in and natural acid from tomatoes will take care of it. After about two weeks, when sauce is nice and thick from evaporation, scoop out skins (or sieve), and fill glass jars, and seal with a layer of olive oil.

Sundried tomato sauce is delicious, and lasts the whole winter. Red peppers can be added to the tomatoes too for a variation.

No comments: