Monday, February 09, 2009

Small town girl makes the big time

Rushing for the F train yesterday evening, I sprinted past a poster in the subway station for an exhibition of paintings by Marlene Dumas at MOMA, the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

Marlene Dumas was at the Michaelis Art School with me in Cape Town in the early 70's. Now apparently her paintings sell for more money than those by any other living woman artist.

I was a bit anxious about seeing the exhibition, as I haven't really responded to reproductions of her work thus far, but in real life I was quite blown away by the imagery and beautifully executed painting. Some of the tableaux almost seemed to be submerged in water, with parts clearly defined but other parts covered by a filmy wash. Nothing overworked, everything fresh and stark and stripped of pleasanteries and non-essentials.


Here is a virtual tour of the exhibition:

No comments: