Monday, August 04, 2008

Humble Pie

The day dawned grey and cloudy, but I was excited as I packed up my paints and brushes and set off for Thegra, a local village that was having a painting day. This is a common event in rural France. Several of us paid our 8 euro registration fee at the table in front of the church and then separated to various parts of the village to set up our easels. I chose a view of the town from the middle of a field. We gathered together for a communal lunch at one, and then hurried back to our oevres: we had to finish by 4:30! I hadn't counted on the sun breaking through the clouds and by four pm I was epuissée, but relatively happy with my day's work. After the local children seranaded us with songs, the speeches started and finally prizes were awarded. We all got a prize: 1st prize down to 8th prize. Then came Most Original, Most Popular, Youngest Painter, Oldest Painter, and finally Honorable Mention- which was awarded to me along with a pass to the local labyrinth. Champagne was handed out to all present, which made the humble pie a little easier to swallow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so glad you are blogging again! I love your blog and your art and FRance!
kieren, aspiring illustrator
(kierendutcher.com)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so glad you are blogging again. I love your blog and your work and France!
Kieren, aspiring illustrator in Oakland, CA (kierendutcher.com)
Please keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so glad you are blogging again. I love your blog and your work and France!
Kieren, aspiring illustrator in Oakland, CA (kierendutcher.com)
Please keep it up!