Friday, January 08, 2010

Portraits from photographs

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by someone over the internet who asked me if I could turn a photograph of her husband and daughter into a painting.

I really prefer painting portraits from life, but sometimes its just not possible. I would not only have to fly to New York but time travel to someone's bedroom last year to capture this scene. I have spent a lot more time on this picture than I normally do. I have to capture the likeness of the subjects of course, but I also need to make an interesting painting. I keep going back and forth, back and forth.

I need to stop and send a photo off for feedback. If it's rejected outright, then I will feel free to do what I want with it... and perhaps submit it to the National Portrait Gallery's 2010 Competition...

No comments: