Thursday, January 21, 2010

Moulin de Saint-Martin

I wish I could claim to be the creator of this lovely mill, but it is painted by a member of the nineteenth century French School and hangs in the Musée d'Orsay. The painting is not attributed to anyone in particular, but the moulin is around the corner from Corot's house in Crécy-la-Chapelle. This area has inspired many artists from Vincent Van Gogh and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec to Fauvists and Nabis like André Derain.

The mill has been converted into a two bedroom chambres d'hôte and I am staying here for a few days. It's the middle of winter and the Grand Morin is roaring past under damp misty skies, but I couldn't think of a more comfortable spot to be sipping Monk Tea than in front of the fire in the moulin's livingroom.

I will pay for my supper by spending the next few days tromping around the huge and exhausting Maisons & Objets trade show in Paris, helping a friend select merchandise for his shop. But that's hours away, so for now I will pour myself another cup of fragrant tea and continue to toast my tootsies in front of the fire...

No comments: